Site hosted by Build your free website today!

John (Jack) MacLean

Notes from Jack's great granddaughter:

"My great grandparents lived at Northbank on Francois Lake. They had built the Lakeview Hotel at the Northbank landing as well as ran the post office and store until the hotel was sold to a Mr. McGregor and it burned down in '26 when he went to work for a government road-building company."
". . . My grandmother has a picture taken in 1917 of a community picnic that has his name listed, and we're given to believe it was actually 1916 he first arrived., building his first home at Uncha Lake. He hired on with Amorss Blaney and later with Tom Harris, working on the Cataline also.
My Mom has a copy of the contract he held to deliver mail once a week between Francois Lake and Ootsa Lake. The terms of the contract are from Jan. 1, 1917 and March 31, 1920 for payment of $700.00.
He met my great grandmother, Ellen Stanyer (daughter of John "Jack" and Madeline) in 1918 and married in '19, spending their wedding night at the "Bucket of Blood". The story was told that during the night, several of Jack's friends came by hoping to help celebrate. They took him out and got him drunk and in the process, took the wheels off his Democrat wagon and threw them in the lake. Two understanding ladies in the community, Mrs. Mulvaney and Mrs. Hatch, took my Granny and her friend, Lizzie Atkinson, to another cabin for the night. The wagon wheels were retrieved from the lake the next day.
In 1924 Jack sold the hotel, store and post office to McGregor and moved to a cottage he had built previously, a few meteres from the hotel and overlooking the lake. The cottage later became a museum. In a family picture taken in 1970 the museum is of log construction with a very steep-pitched, pointed roof.
In 1917 he moved the family to the Cummins place and worked in a railway tie camp. The made one final move in '34 to the Giskus place before moving to Alberta, sometime after '29.
In 1939 they moved from Alberta down to Courtenay, BC, meeting up with the Goodwin and Shelford families they had known previously from Burns Lake. . . ."